Chakras entered my life around 2002 when I was determined to get to the bottom of potential contributing factors to my uterine fibroids.
I came across the mentioning of the sacral chakra in Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom by Dr. Christane Northrup and went down the rabbit whole to explore further.
Upon learning about these energy centers, I found a whole new access point to healing. I spent years studying and learning about how chakras effect health and wellness and was fascinated. Today, my wellness conversation will at some point lead to chakra balance as I feel compelled to share them with whom ever is unfamiliar.
As I've shared my passion for the topic, I've found that many need a break down of the chakra basics.
In this post, I share what chakras are and how working with them can keep you healthy, happy and whole.
Chakras are energy centers of the body. There are seven major chakras that are located midline from the base of the spine to the top of the head. Stemming from Indian medicine, chakra means "wheel" or turn and represents a vortex of energy at specific locations on and around the body.
Each chakra has a corresponding color, physical region, organ, endocrine gland and rites of passage or aspect of personal development, to name a few.
It is believed that when the energy of the chakra is flowing freely, we will operate at our optimum level physically, emotionally and spiritually.
Disharmony of a chakra may result when an area of our life is out of balance or we engage in regular poor self talk. Furthermore, trauma, poor diet and illness can also cause a chakra to be off. At this point, the vitality is lessened making healing or moving forward in life a bit more challenging.
What this really means is that we have to take into account mental and emotional stressors in addition to physical wellbeing when aiming to achieve true wellness.
In the above video I share details on each chakra and the personal development keys attributed.
If you are already familiar with chakras then I find it helpful to ask the following 3 questions pertaining to a chakra area(s) in question to get a general idea of its vitality.
1) What feels off in my body?
2) What is the correlating chakra?
3) How can I better take care of myself in this region of my body by supporting the endocrine gland and/or personal development key?
This will give you valuable, personal and essential insight that may greatly aid in your healing and wellness.
Below you will find a list of the 7 main chakras are with associated color, region of the body, endocrine gland and personal development factor, respectively:
- Base of spine as well as feet/ankles/knees/bone/blood/tooth/spinal column
- Adrenal gland- stress hormone producing gland
- Basic needs being met/morals/familial expectations/securit/safety
- Pelvic area between the navel and pubic bone as well as low back and hips/lower digestion
- Interpersonal relationships, creative projects, romantic relationships, money, work
- Between the bottom of the rib cage and navel/upper digestion
- Pancreas- insulin producing gland
- Personal power, will, gut instincts, self esteem, self awareness
- Chest, heart centered area as well as breasts, mid back, lungs, arms and hands
- Thymus- immune gland
- Forgiveness, compassion, self love, anger, resentment, healing, humanity
- Throat as well as neck and shoulders
- Speaking your authentic truth, hearing others, staying open to listen, avoiding assumptions
- Between the eye brows/brain
- Pineal gland
- Infinite possibilities, unlimited potential, dreams, aspirations, visualization
- Crown of the head
- Pituitary gland
- Faith, divine support, knowing your not alone, divine connection
The chakras may be balanced with:
- whole food nutrition and herbs
- essential oils
- mental health counseling
- cranio sacral therapy
- massage and body work
- and more...
I hope this has been insightful for you and that you've enjoyed some chakra basics.
Are you are interested in learning more about chakras and how to enhance your self care, plus learn about whole food nutrition and stress management? Jump on my waiting list to be the first to know about my new virtual course that will cover ALL OF IT!
Until next time...