Have you ever had a moment when you're not only hungry but wanting something to eat that will make your taste buds dance? The other day I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner but nothing I had in the fridge was exciting me. At the end of the day, to keep myself motivated to cook I have to know that what I'm making will be a party in my mouth and worth the work. I wanted something that was flavor rich, savory with a touch of sweet and consistent with my nutritional needs (grain and gluten free).
Not only did this dish come out divinely delicious but it was super simple to make. Here's what I did...
What you'll need
1 large bowl, roasting pan, spatula
3 cups or 2, 12 oz packs of cubed Winter squash (I used butternut squash)
3, 12 oz packs of organic chicken Italian sausage ( I used Applegate for convenience which is a controversial organic brand but Wellness Meats US is known to have clean, grass fed, free range meats)
2 bunches of red chard, rinsed and chopped
1/2 cup parsley, rinsed and chopped
1/4 cup currants (soaked in water for 10 minutes)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. (Cube the flesh of your squash if using a whole squash) Add the squash to a large bowl
3. Cut sausage in 1 inch thick rounds and add to the bowl with the squash
4. Keep chard, parsley and currants to the side to use later.
5. Add garlic, oregano and oil to the bowl with squash and sausage.
6. Mix and fold to make sure all ingredients in the bowl are coated with oil.
7. Place the contents from the bowl onto a roasting pan.
8. Cook at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, uncovered.
9. Drain currants.
10. After 15 minutes remove roasting pan and add chard, parsley and drained currants to the roasting pan by mixing in with sausage and squash.
11. Place roasting pan back in the oven uncovered for 10-15 minutes longer or until desired browning of squash and sausage is reached.
12. Remove from oven, let cool to desired temperate to eat, serve and enjoy.
I hope you love it!
Until next time.