Hey there! I can't tell you how many times I hear patients say that they just don't have time for breakfast and may not eat for 6-8 hours after waking. I'm sure this isn't you, right?
Another common road block to having breakfast is not knowing what to eat. I'm sharing this recipe because it's not only easy but friendly for vegetarians, vegans and followers of Paleo and gluten free diets. Plus, it's kid approved.
Vegetarian, gluten free, Paleo friendly and kid approved
The pic is literally of my daughter's breakfast plate. Since my little one has eczema and I've kept her off gluten and grains, this recipe is on steady rotation in my home. She calls these sweet potatoes breakfast cookies :) I'll often pair them with avocado or organic chicken sausage and sometimes a side of bone broth.
They're really like breakfast cookies
The recipes is perfect for the Fall season as it has all the flavors that make you feel warm and cozy. I usually pop these babies in the oven before I wake my daughter up to get dressed and they are about done after our morning "get dressed routine" (she's 5 so you know... teeth brushing, lagging to get her socks on, hair brushing).
Sweet potato varieties are awesome
I chose both Japanese sweet potato and Garnet because they have different textures when baked. The lighter colored Japanese sweet potato has a bit more crunch when complete and feel's heavier in the mouth. The Garnet is a bit sweeter and lighter. Both offer great fiber and Vitamin A and C (particularly the Garnet).
Ok, without further ado, the recipe...
1/2 Japanese sweet potato
1/2 Garnet sweet potato
1 tbsp coconut oil (or grapeseed oil)
1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin seasoning (or to taste)
1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Rinse sweet potatoes with water and dry with paper towel
3. Slice sweet potatoes in 1/4 to 1/8 inch rounds (I like 1/8 inch)
4. Add the sliced sweet potatoes to a large bowl
5. Add the oil, spices and salt to coat sweet potatoes
6. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet so they are not overlapping (this ensures even cooking)
7. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minute depending on desired crisp
8. Remove from oven, let cool a bit and happily consume :)
I hope you enjoy.