Let's face it, there just isn't much time for breakfast! If you're like me you are scurrying out of the door hoping not to forget the essentials for the day... wallet, phone, kid ;) I usually make a protein shake for breakfast but sometimes I want a mid moring, whole food snack that is from the breakfast food category. On weekends, I may take a break from shakes and want food I can chew!
This egg muffin recipe is one to keep handy in the kitchen.
Like mini frittatas, eggs in a muffin tin are super simple to make and you can pop them in the oven while you take care of a few other morning needs. Make ahead eggs are perfect if you have several mouths to feed or find yourself running out of the door in a hurry.
10 eggs, beaten
1/2 c cheese, shredded (I used mozarella but cheddar, jack or even goat cheese would be great)
1/2 c of each chopped vegetable you chose to use. I used parsley and green onion. (Grape tomatoes, spinach, bell peppers and onions are also great in this recipe.)
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper
Olive oil, butter or grapeseed oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the muffin tin.
2. In a bowl, add egg yolks and mix with a fork or beater.
3. Add in vegetables of your choice. (Optional- For extra flavor and tender vegetables you may want to soften tomatoes, bell pepper, onion by sauteeing for 5 minutes in a pan with 2 tsp. oil and 1 minced garlic clove)
4. Add salt and pepper
5. Spoon mixture into muffin tins till 2/3 full.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
7. Gently remove from muffin tin (you may need to take a knife around the edges to pop out) and serve.