As a kid, I loved the fried zucchini from Carl's Jr., and every now and then I jones for them. I was in the mood for a burger and fries the other day and thought baked zucchini fries would be a perfect companion to my portobello mushroom burger. It just so happened that I'd received zucchini in my Farm Fresh to You delivery box and didn't even have to go to the store (score!).
Now, I do like to eat gluten freee and even vegan when I can but don't let that scare you away from the recipe. I'll tell you what I did and where you can substitute with ingredients you are most familiar with.
They turned out to be really delicious but I will remind you now to season your bread crumbs well. I didn't do a good job of this with my first batch but did with the second and the difference is night and day.
Here's the recipe...
2 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise... like a thick french fry
2 tbsp olive oil
3/4 c. gluten free bread crumbs (you can use regular/italian bread crumbs or panko- I actually used old gluten free stuffing bread and smashed it into fine bits)
1 tsp salt (more of less if desired)
1 tbsp dried oregano
2 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp. dry chia seeds or quinoa (it gives it a nice crunch)
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2) Mix together dry ingredients (bread crumbs, quinoa/chia seeds, herbs and spices, salt and pepper) in a shallow dish
3) In a large dish, place sliced zucchini and add oil to coat
4) Take 3-5 sliced zucchini at a time and add to bread crumb mixture to coat evenly
5) Place on a baking sheet- use 2 if you have them or make in batches
6) Bake 12 minutes on one side then flip for another 12 minutes until golden brown
*Great when paired with a creamy light dressing