There's nothing like the velvety smooth, sweet and savory taste of sweet potato soup. On a chilly Fall or Winter day it hits the spot.
Sweet potatoes are full of the antioxidant, beta carotene as well as vitamin A. They are in season in November and December but can be found in the grocery store year round.
This soup is great for making ahead to have on hand for lunch or a quick snack. When I prepare it for dinner, I pear it with a nice big salad for a light meal.
This recipe is super EASY and my toddler and husband love it. Please keep in mind that you will need either an immersion or standard blender to puree the soup.
Here's what you need...
2 to 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 8 cups peeled and chopped)
2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp cardamon
a pinch of salt or to taste
64 oz vegetable stock or water
Optional- 7 oz light coconut milk
Optional- 6-8 drops of orange essential oil- approved for internal consumption
Here's what I did...
1) Peel and chop sweet potatoes.
2) Add olive or coconut oil to a large soup pot and heat on warm.
3) Place sweet potatoes and spices and salt in the pot. Mix to coat sweet potatoes with oil and release the aroma of the spices.
4) Add stock or water to to cover the potatoes.
5) Turn heat to high to allow soup to come to a boil then reduce to simmer for 45 minutes or until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.
6) Transfer soup to a standard blender or use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Let soup cool for about 20 minutes (or more) before transfering to a standard blender. If the soup is too hot it will explode out when blending. Soup should be warm-hot but not steaming, very hot. If using an immersion blender, 20 minutes should be enough time for cooling. Careful not to burn yourself.
7) Transfer soup from standard blender back to the soup pot.
8) Mix in coconut oil and orange essential oil if desired for extra creamy texture with an orange kick ;)
9) Serve warm and enjoy!
Let me know how you like your soup...