There was a sale on beets. Who can pass that up?
I already had a pretty darn good quinoa salad recipe but thought the addition of these ruby and golden gems would be a perfectly awesome addition to the dish.
I call this the perfect salad recipe because it offers a variety of sensory pleasing textures and fantastic flavor. It also makes an excellent snack or meal and is easy to toss in a container to have on the go or enjoy at home as a meal.
I like to have this on hand during a busy week so I know there is something nutritious and already made in the fridge. My toddler and husband enjoy this, too which is a bonus. (Side note- Who's toddler LOVES beets? Well mine does, apparently. I guess she really doesn't have a choice with me as her mother.)
Here's the recipe…
6 servings for meal size sized portions or 12 servings for snack sized portions
2 cups dry quinoa
2 medium to large peeled cooked beets
1/3 cup onion
1 cup parsley
2 tsp dried dill
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon or lime juice
1/4 tsp cayenne
salt to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Or, add rinsed quinoa to a sauce pan with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes until quinoa is somewhat transparent. Make sure water at bottom of pan has evaporated off.
- Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and let cool at room temperature. Once cooled, chill in refrigerator for a couple hours.
- Remove bowl with quinoa from fridge.
- Chop beets, onion, cucumber and parsley and add to bowl with quinoa.
- Add dill, sunflower seeds, oil, lemon/lime juice, cayenne and salt.
- Mix to combine.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do.