Don't you just love Mediterreanean flavors? I was looking for a dish that would give me lots of good protein with incredible flavors that I love. So, I thew together a Mediterreanean quinoa (because quinoa is a wonderful, versatile complete protein) recipe that is filling yet light at the same time... perfect for Summer.
I made this as a vegetarian dish but you can add meat, chicken, fish or tofu if you choose. This makes a fantastic main or side dish.
I know you'll love it.
2 cups uncooked quinoa
3 medium zucchini
3/4 cup olive oil
4 tsp dried thyme
1, 14 oz. jar of artichokes (I like Trader Joe's brand)
1, 6 oz. can of black olives
3 oz sundried tomatoes
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon or orange juice
3 cloves minced garlic
optional- 2 cups arugula
1) Preheat over to 375 degrees.
2) Cook quinoa as directed on package until fluffy. Set aside in a large bowl.
*Prepare to roast zucchini and artichokes
3) Roast zucchini: Cut zucchini in bite sized pieces, add to a baking sheet and coat with 2 tbs olive oil and add 1 tsp dried thyme with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 20 minutes until slightly browned. Set aside.
4) Roast artichokes: Add drained artichokes to a baking sheet, coat with 1 tbs olive oil and add 1 tsp dried thyme with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 10 minutes. Set aside.
5) Add the roasted artichokes and zucchini to the quinoa in bowl.
6) Add the olives and and sundried tomatoes to the bowl with the quinoa and roasted vegetables.
7) Prepare a dressing with the remaining olive oil and thyme, orange juice, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk together and pour over prepared ingredients in bowl. Combine well.
8) Optional- Place a handful of arugula on the bottom of the plate you will use to top with finished dish.
9) Plate your delicious dish and enjoy.
Let me know what you think of the flavors in the comments below...